We’re in the full throws of the Autumn racing season which means it’s time to prepare your outfits, and how you’re going to pair your beauty with each look.
It’s no secret that a tan not only goes with everything, it has the magical ability to make your outfits look that little bit more amazing. Having a tan makes colours pop, and gives you a boost of confidence.
But don’t become a victim of a bad race day tan. You’ll be standing in broad day light so every streak and every blotch will be noticed. As well as the infamous “carrot” look.
Here is a guide to preparing the perfect tan for the Autumn racing season:
- Exfoliate! Remove all dry and dead skin cells by gently scrubbing your skin in the shower or bath, with a loofa and an exfoliating body scrub. This will avoid any blotches as tan tends to stick to dry patches of skin.
- Hydrate: Keep your skin hydrated by regular moisturising and drinking plenty of water. But DO NOT moisturise clean skin before applying the tan. Moisturise regularly after you’ve washed your developed tan off.
- Tan ahead of time: We recommend applying your tan a couple of days before the races so that you have time for the colour to settle, any smell to disappear, and enough time to apply another coat if you haven’t achieved your preferred darkness yet.
- Don’t do these: apply deodorant or perfume before you’ve washed the tan off (you could end up with green arm pits), exercise while the tan is developing (your tan make get sweat marks) OR wear tight clothes until after you’ve had a shower (you could end up with terrible marks).
- Find the right colour for you: Now this is absolute key to not turning orange or looking streaky. If you’re fair skinned either use our light/medium tanning foam or our gradual tanning moisturiser. These will give you a nice subtle and natural glow and you won’t look like someone off Geordie Shore. This will also allow the opportunity to apply another coat if you would like to go a little darker.
For darker skin tones, use the dark tanning lotion or rapid 1 hour tan. The rapid tan can develop in 1 hour, or can be left for 3 hours if you’re after a deeper colour.
- Use an application mitt: These will change your tanning life forever. Promise! They allow for super easy application, and ensure no streaks. Rub the tan on in a circular motion and I guarantee you’ll be tanned to perfection.
- Adjust your makeup: To keep your tan looking natural, you MUST change your makeup to suit your new skin tone. Find a lovely foundation that blends and make sure you apply it all the way under the chin, to the start of your neck.
- Finish with a touch of shimmer: On the day of the races, add a touch of body bronzer to your legs and décolletage to make sure you’re radiating glamour.
We hope these easy steps to a perfect race day tan help you prepare for a fun day out.
Come and visit us at the MYER Fashion on the Field at the Championships Stakes Day, Royal Randwick Racecourse this weekend and next. We’re proud to be a sponsor of such a fantastic event each season.